My book, Experimentalism as Reciprocal Communication in Contemporary American Poetry: John Ashbery, Lyn Hejinian, Ron Silliman came out from John Benjamins in October 2016. Read more about it here, or go directly to the publisher’s website and order it there.
My research interests include
- contemporary American experimental poetry:
– Language Writing, the New York School, Conceptual poetry, etc.
- poetry and emotion
- poetry and authenticity
- new approaches to reading and teaching complex literature
- literature as communication
- everyday life in literature
Conference papers (selection):
- “A New Confessional Poetry: Recycled language and private provisions in Trisha Low’s The Compleat Purge”. ACLA (American Comparative Literature Association) conference, Utrecht, The Netherlands. July 6-9, 2017.
- “Being in the Present: Poetry as a ‘mindfulness’ project in Bernadette Mayer’s Studying Hunger Journals”. FINSSE-8, University of Turku and Åbo Akademi, Turku. June 7-9, 2017.
- “Reading A New Confessional Poetry: The case of Trisha Low’s The Compleat Purge.” NeMLA (Northeast Modern Language Association) conference, Baltimore, MD. March 23-26, 2017.
- “Lapse of Happily”: Consuming Everyday Banality in Experimental Poetry. FINSSE-7, University of Vaasa. October 9-10, 2015.
- ‘Hard Work: Reading, Community, and Collaboration in Ron Silliman’s Poetry’. FINSSE-6: English in the East conference, University of Eastern Finland, Joensuu. October 18-20, 2012.
- ‘“Launched in Context”: Lyn Hejinian Performing Ordinary Language’. Major Minors: New and Neglected Issues in Literary Studies conference, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, USA. February 16-17, 2012.
- ‘Voices of Others: Communication and Non-Identity in Contemporary American Experimental Poetry’. NAES-FINSSE 2010: English in the North conference, University of Oulu. June 9-12, 2010.
I have done some teaching at the Department of English, University of Turku. In the fall of 2017, I am teaching the Literature Master’s Thesis seminar and Academic Reading and Writing. I am also the substitute coordinator of the North American Studies program where I will teach a course called Crossing the Atlantic and help students complete independent studies and assignments.
I taught Creative Writing in English in 2015 and Academic Writing Skills in 2014. I have also taught a few individual sessions on other courses, helped students finish their BA thesis seminar, graded book exams and participated in entrance exam evaluation. I am interested in doing more.